When I started renovations on my main floor last summer, I took down the 1980s peach vertical blinds and put up this beauty:
It's a blue gingham sheet I bought in the late 90s. It served it's purpose to cover the window but isn't very nice to look at.
I finished sewing my new drapes yesterday - they were only 11 months in the making. I bought the fabric last May and then couldn't start them until the renovations were finished, then I was afraid to start in case I made a major error - at $20/m it could be costly. I finally got started in March break a few weeks ago, then my machine broke - when trying to go through multiple layers of drapes.
My parents came over today and helped hang the new drapes:
I am very pleased with how they turned out - I wish I would have started earlier.
It's ironic that I was so worried about measuring correctly - I made a measurement error when purchasing the fabric - I calculated the repeat wrong - so I have a ton left over. I'll make some into cushion covers for this room and I have a room upstairs that needs something on the window.